Thursday, November 1, 2012

Online retailers: Native Reflections pt 1

Do you ever find an online retailer that sells EXACTLY what you need for your classroom?

I know there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of websites selling stuff we can fill our classrooms with.

Back when I was teaching on a native reserve in Northern Manitoba, in the dark ages before I read blogs and knew about teacherspayteachers, (I know, GASP!) I wanted to make sure my classroom in my second year there felt like home to my kiddos, so I searched and found this retailer: Native Reflections.


It's funny, I'd forgotten about it until Miss L was lamenting about the difficulty about teaching native studies to native students, so this popped into my brain, and I directed her there. Hopefully when she has a classroom next year she can make use of some of their awesome stuff!

I want to share with you some of my finds (I have not been paid in any shape or form for my mentioning their products, I just think they're awesome)

I'll first share a few of the resources I bought, then a few I wish they had then, or that I wish I had the money for.

Manuscript Alphabet:
I made sure I didn't leave this behind when we left. I love this alphabet. It's a bit to difficult for say Primary/Kindergarten classrooms, but the visual reminder helped the 2nd graders with their Social Studies and writing activities.

Calendar:
Way cuter than any option at Scholars choice (this isn't actually the one I have, but it's VERY similar).

Calendar Headers:
No Calendar is complete without the months of the year.

Days of the Week:
I wish I still had these, but by midyear, several days had mysteriously gone missing, which made the set completely useless for the next year.

Bulletin borders:
There are SEVERAL to choose from. 1, 2 and 3.
I bought:
I THINK I still have these, but it's been a few years since I looked in that box. I hope I do, and that I have a class next year!!!!!

I used these on my word wall, on my rules poster and as my welcome sign on my door, all things that stayed up all year. I lost a few letters (since the rules poster and the door window were held together for dear life with packing tape so they stood a chance of lasting until June), but I can definitely use these again for my word wall.

 
This was right beside my calendar and was used every day until we stopped taking the time to talk about the weather, although I still moved our marker most days to show the weather after that.

Good Listeners Poster:
I referred to this ALL THE TIME.

National Anthem:
This was above the classroom door, and didn't get much use up there, but it survived the year.

Flash Cards:
I already had flash cards, but I just couldn't resist adding these to my collection!

I think if I return to teaching on reserves starting next year that I'll stick with what I have for a few years before adding to my collection. Besides, now I know how to design some of my own stuff and find it online for free (plus the cost of printing), so my wallet will be much happier.


You  know what? This is so much stuff! But I'm sure there were a few more things I've forgotten about because I haven't looked at them since I packed them away in June 2010. I have a problem, lol.

This post is longer than I thought it would be, so I'll wait for another day to share my wishlist of what I would dream of having in my classroom from this online store.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for all of your advice and for the link to this website! I am definitely going to be ordering stuff from this website when I have my own classroom one day. As part of my student teaching I actually need to do a case study on Aboriginal influence in schools and one of our topics is, "Are Aboriginal individuals, symbols and topics represented in the classroom?" This website would provide the perfect tools to make sure your classroom fit in with that requirement!

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...