Thursday, May 9, 2013

DARE program



Did your school, or the one you now teach at participate in the DARE program?

Apparently, it was founded in 1983 (two years before I started school), but I didn't learn anything about it until I started student teaching and then subbing. But I didn't have anything to do with the program, so I have no insights.

But after a little research, here's what I've learned:
1. The programmed is designed to give teachers the skills they need to teach students how to resist pressure to do drugs, smoke and drink alcohol.
2. Police officers lead the program in your classroom for ten one hour sessions over the course of the year.
3. In Nova Scotia, RCMP officers visit classrooms for 17 weeks for this program. Introduced in 2001.
This unique program sees specially trained officers deliver school presentations to youth ingrades five and six across Nova Scotia. The seventeen week course addresses such topics as the dangers of tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse; developing assertiveness and self confidence; and dealing with violence, bullying and gang behaviours. D.A.R.E . gives special attention to fifth and sixth grade students in order to prepare them for entry into junior and senior high schools wherethey are most likely to encounter pressure to use drugs.

HOWEVER, there has also been some controversy as to whether the program has been successful. Some reports suggest that students exposed to DARE, have a higher incidence of use of drugs than students NOT exposed to the program.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students loved DARE and were able to interact with police officers in a positive way. Many times, police officers only see children when they've come into an altercation with their families and their seems to be a lack of trust after that. DARE allows kids to see police officers as friendly people who are only wanting the best for them. The DARE program in my class brought up some really interesting conversations that I don't think would have happened otherwise. They were meaningful and some of the students actually set aside time to speak with the police officer about their own lives and ask for advice. I think the program is a definite plus!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going through the DARE program when I was in school. Frankly, I remember it being very cheesy and generic. I also remember it seeming like we were often being talked down to or treated a lot younger than we actually are. Although this may have been specific to the police officer who participated in the community and not the program in general.
    I am proud to say, however, that I have never tried any type of drug or cigarette in my life. So maybe it did work?

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...