Friday, August 9, 2013

Weekly Friday Feature #2: Teachingisagift

Last week was awesome when I featured my first fellow blogger for this series.

I'm celebrating my quickly (for me) raising number of followers with a new weekly feature. If you'd like to be included, please fill out  this little survey. HERE.

I will share as part of these features a link to your blog, your best TpT product (according to you), your most popular freebie and approximately 5 of my favourite ideas I find on your blog.



This week I move on to my next feature, this time it's:
Teaching is a Gift

Teaching is a Gift

 Sidney says her best TpT product is The 3 M's Made Easy: Mean, Median and Mode.

The free preview of the file includes a really cute little song to help your students remember the differences between mean, median and mode. I love me some music in the classroom!

Her most popular freebie is Welcome Back to School Letter to Students and Families.
This letter is so inclusive! I haven't ever sent a letter to families before school started for the year, but I can imagine doing it next year, we'll see. It'll be too late to send letters home by the time I arrive at my new home and school late August. I do however always send a note introducing myself at the start of the year.


And now onto what great ideas I found while strolling through her wonderful blog.

Note to bloggers: It is really SUPER hard to choose just five ideas of yours to share!


Click on the images to  go to the original sources.
1. Her new teacher survival kit is such a warm idea!
When I was a student teacher and when I started my first job, it would have really helped he feel more comfortable from the get go if my mentor teachers had tried something similar to help my transition be smoother. I had read so many things online about different things people have done for new teachers, and I got nothing. I made the promise to myself that when I have student teachers or have a new grade level cooperating teacher, I"d give them some sort of welcome gift, even if it's just a tray of homemade cookies.
Photo of New Teacher Back to School Survival Kit

2. Moon viewer! She got the idea on Pinterest, but totally new to me. I love how students will be able to get a much better visual of how the moon looks as it's circling the Earth. Much better than that silly flashlight activity I did with my kiddos.


3. Her student teacher adapted theses really cute foldables for their study on First Nations legends. It's too old for my firsties, but I could have used something similar when I taught third grade. Teaching about First Nations is an important part of Canadian Social Studies Curriculums, especially in the prairies where I'll be this year.

4. Her students learned all about Lino-Printing and made these beautiful prints for their hallway. I've pinned this for sometime in the future. This is of a Salmon swimming upstream.

5. The first idea she shared on her blog back in May 2012 was this Foldable activity where students responded to their reading of the novel "Airborn".
It's very detailed, but some of you teaching older grades could definitely use it!


I hope you found something you like, I know I did. Check out her blog by clicking on her button at the top!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my blog! You made it look so interesting maybe I would even want to visit it! LOL! You took me back through some older posts that were popular and it was great to see some newer photos too! My blog has come a long way in the past year that's for sure! I really appreciate you sharing a little of me! Don't miss out on the Facebook Frenzy that just started this morning. You can find a link on my blog page!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...