Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Connecting native studies to science and Social Studies

You may have read on my blog before that we need to incorporate native studies into our teaching.
I'd like to share here two ideas I've used in the last two weeks that have helped me achieve that goal.


These two pictures show a lesson I taught where I combined science and social studies for a lesson.

I took a medicine wheel (we call it the circle of courage in our community) and put it up on the Smartboard. Together we brainstormed foods we eat at different times of the year and especially at celebrations.

For fall, we drew a turkey, pumpkins, pie, apples and a moose (hunting is big around Thanksgiving).
For Winter we drew Hot chocolate, candy canes, gingerbread house and egg nog.
For Spring we drew fish, ham and easter eggs.
For summer we drew ice cream, watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries.

After we did our brainstorm, I had my kiddos return to their seats and on their personal copies draw their favourite food from each season.

It went pretty well I think. 


For a specific social studies lesson, we talked about where people live. We listed houses, townhouses, apartments, and duplexes. I then asked them where the Cree used to live a few hundred years ago, and together we came up with Teepees. We discussed what they might be made of birch bark (wigwams in NS where Mrs. D is from) and leather and fur way up north here.

Here is our Teepee village on display.



How do you incorporate native studies into your curriculum?



***********************************************************
If you are interested in being a guest blogger, or would like me to guest post on your blog, please comment below or email me. I would LOVE to collaborate.

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Visit Reading With Mrs. D on Teachers Pay Teachers
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Reading with Mrs D


Today's featured resource: 
product_0

Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...