Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Connecting native studies to science and Social Studies

You may have read on my blog before that we need to incorporate native studies into our teaching.
I'd like to share here two idea I've used in the last two weeks that have helped me achieve that goal.


These two pictures show a lesson I taught wher eI combined science and social studies for a lesson.

I took a medicine wheel (we call it circle of  courage in our community) and put it up on the Smartboard. Together we brainstormed foods we eat at different times of the year and especially at celebrations.

For fall, we drew a turkey, pumpkins, pie, apples and a moose (hunting is big around Thanksgiving).
For Winter we drew Hot chocolate, candy canes, gingerbread house and egg nog.
For Spring we drew fish, ham and easter eggs.
For summer we drew ice cream, watermelon, strawberries and blueberries.

After we did iur brainstorm, I had my kiddos return to their seats and on their personal copies draw their favourite food from each season.

It went pretty well I think. 


For a specific social studies lesson we talked about where people live. We listed houses, townhouses, apartments and duplexes. I then asked them where the Cree used t olive a few hundred years ago, and together we came up with Teepees. We discussed what they might be made of birth bark wigwams in NS where Mrs. D is from) and leather and fur way up north here.

Here is our Teepee village on display.



How do you incorporate native studies into your curriculum?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...