Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Have you heard about NaNoWriMo?

Back when I tried dabbling with Lois and Clark Fan fiction, I was introduced to this wonderful concept. I knew right away that it would be great in an upper elementary through high school classroom. But since that's not the grade range I prefer to teach, I've never had the opportunity to use it.

What is it?

National Novel Writing Month happens every November! It's a fun, seat-of-your-pants writing event where the challenge is to complete an entire novel in just 30 days. For one month, you get to lock away your inner editor, let your imagination take over, and just create!
That means participants begin writing November 1 and must finish by midnight, November 30. The word-count goal for our adult program is 50,000 words, but the Young Writers Program (YWP) allows 17-and-under participants to set reasonable, yet challenging, individual word-count goals.
In 2011, 250,000 adults participated through our main site, and 50,000 young writers participated through the YWP.


No there's no reason to expect your 5th graders to write 50,000 words. Did you know there is a special branch of this program for kids?

As part of the teaching resources section they include educator resources with a LOT of worksheets to help your writers create.

You can order for free (suggested donation $10) their classroom kit. I really wish I was teaching so I could use these!

NANOWRIMO YWP CLASSROOM KIT 2012
$0.00

If you are facilitating NaNoWriMo for 10 or more students in a school, library, or community center, you may order one 2012 classroom noveling kit free of charge!
The classroom kit includes:
• NaNoWriMo’s Triumphant Chart of Noveling Progress
• up to 35 sets of NaNoWriMo progress stickers
• up to 35 “Imagination Activated” buttons

The Triumphant Chart of Noveling Progress

It's too late to get their free kit before the program launches, but I would still order it if I was you, and update the chart when it arrives.

My imaginary plan, ordering late: Start November first talking abut 4 weeks of writing in class and at home, and have the class write outlines and character bios before my official kick off the first full week of November.

Good Luck!

Why do I bring this up? I'm going to try to write a novel again this year, and maybe actually finish it. Wish me luck!









***********************************************************
Do you have an idea for a future post, or are interested in guest blogging or having me write a guest post? Please comment or email me!

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Visit Reading With Mrs. D on Teachers Pay Teachers
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Reading with Mrs D


Today's featured resource: 

Growing 8+ Christmas Centers Bundle




Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...