Thursday, October 11, 2012

School Board Elections 2012

My local school board is having an election this month, alongside the municipal elections for Mayor on October 20th. The board consists of 8 elected members and one African Canadian member elected by entitled voters.


To be a candidate in the Halifax Regional School Board Election you must be:
  • A Canadian Citizen
  • 18 years of age or older at the time of nomination
  • Be ordinarily resident in HRM for at least 6 months prior to nomination day (before March 11, 2012)
  • Not otherwise disqualified under the Municipal Elections Actor Education Act of Nova Scotia

I have to choose between two people running for the board: Graham Judge and Gin Yee. I wish I knew more about them, but I'm new to this district, having moved within the city this year. I do know that Gin Yee has held the position before. But I do have access to both their websites.

I feel that Mr. Judge is awfully young and inexperienced, but he may have some great insights which will help the board reach forwards. On the otherhand, Mr. Yee has been successfully on the board for 8 years.


I'm going to be doing a lot of reading about the candidates this year and the responsibilities of the board as I think I may someday wish to run for a school board position. 

Have any of you ever considered stepping out of the classroom into such a position or even doing both jobs (which seems most likely here)?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!








***********************************************************
Do you have an idea for a future post, or are interested in guest blogging or having me write a guest post? Please comment or email me!

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Visit Reading With Mrs. D on Teachers Pay Teachers
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Reading with Mrs D


Today's featured resource: 

Letter Reversal Bundle




Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Mrs. D...are you having any luck finding information on Mr Judge?

    Seems rather ironic that we're unable to find much information online about a man who claims to want to bring his experience with IT to the board.

    Mr. Yee is easier to find having been on the board for the last two terms however, some of it is less than positive, particularly David Cameron's letter to the Board explaining why he will not be re-offering.

    Seems as though we're stuck with a choice between the devil you know and the devil you don't.

    ReplyDelete

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...