Wednesday, September 17, 2014

We are all Treaty People

I grew up in Nova Scotia, and I don't really remember learning much about the native culture there growing up, other than a basic study of traditional Micmac in grade school. I never learned about modern repercussions to them due to European exposure, etc.

However, now that I'm living and working in Saskatchewan, the long-lasting effects of the treaty are becoming more clear to me.

Saskatchewan is the ONLY province in Canada to mandate that students in all grades K-12 have treaty knowledge, and native education included.

The focus of First-grade treaty inclusion is that  "WE ARE ALL TREATY PEOPLE".

To me, at first, I didn't get it. I had always thought that treaties had nothing to do with me because they happened LONG before I was born and I am not native Canadian.

However, I've since learned that I AM a treaty person because the treaty is a promise between the people of Canada (Me), and the first nations people (my students- Cree, Dene, Metis).

Below is a poster we made with treaty promise at the bottom and a poem at the top about how long a treaty is for. We'll be referring to this throughout the year.







***********************************************************
If you would like to guest blog or would like me to guest post on your blog, please comment or send me an email.

Want to find awesome resources for your Early Childhood Education classroom?
Reading with Mrs D



Today's featured resource: 
Superhero Classroom Posters FREEBIE

Help support Reading With Mrs. D and our family. Join Swagbucks and we can both earn money to spend on our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Love me, you really love ME!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...